Ep.144 - Private Equity is Destroying Healthcare and How To Fight Back w/ Private Equity Stakeholder Project
“The private equity model is inherently at odds with providing good quality patient care and providing good jobs.”
Welcome to the Harmony of Interest series where we explore ideas that positively shape our world.
For this recording, we are focusing on Private Equity’s role in the U.S. healthcare system. Joining me from the Private Equity Stakeholder Project is Virginia Rodino, who is the Director Of Communications, and Eileen O'Grady, Director of Healthcare Research.
The mission of the Private Equity Stakeholder Project is to identify, engage, and connect stakeholders affected by private equity with the goal of engaging investors and empowering communities, working families, and others impacted by private equity investments.
In this conversation, we discuss:
- What is Private Equity and how is it differentiated from other forms of investment;
- How Private Equity negatively impacts healthcare;
- What is the Private Equity Stakeholder Project; and
- Policy solutions that involve organized labor, Congress, and investors.
You can learn more about the Private Equity Stakeholder Project and their work at:
- Private Equity Has Already Reaped Hundreds of Millions of Dollars of Debt-Funded Dividends from Health Care Companies in 2021
- Blackstone a Repeat Offender in Health Care Fraud Settlements
- Private Equity Health Care Acquisitions – February 2021
- Money for Nothing: How Private Equity has Defrauded Medicare, Medicaid, and Other Government Health Programs, and How that Might Change
- Dividend Recapitalizations in Health Care: How Private Equity Raids Critical Health Care Infrastructure for Short Term Profit
- Understaffed, Unlicensed, and Untrained: Behavioral Health Under Private Equity
- Raiding the Safety Net: Leonard Green & Partners Seeks to Walk Away from Prospect Medical Holdings after Collecting $570 Million in Fees and Dividends
- Adverse Reaction: How will the flood of private equity money into health care providers impact access to, cost and quality of care?
Empathy Media Lab’s Harmony of Interest series is produced by Evan Papp and we are a proud member of the Labor Radio Podcast Network. Support media, authors, artists, historians, and journalists, who are fighting to improve the prosperity of the working class.
Website - https://www.empathymedialab.com/
Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/empathymedialab
Twitter - https://twitter.com/empathymedialab
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/empathymedialab/
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/EmpathyMediaLab/